Pistol creek was founded in 1960 by Marvin Hornback.
In 1910, Sam Hoppins settled on the property now known as Pistol Creek Ranch. Hoppins arrived in the Middlefork country in 1892, first filing for a homestead on Loon Creek. After moving to Pistol creek, Hoppins made a living hauling supplies for various minors in the area. In 1914 he sold to Eleck Watson, and eventually moved to the Big Creek area to start his own mining operation at Copper Camp. The property during Watson's ownership was known as Risley Ranch.
The Start Of Pistol Creek:
After her husbands death, Adelaide sold the property in 1957 to Sulphur Creek Ranch owners Marv and Barbara Hornback. The Hornbacks then renamed this place, Pistol Creek Ranch.
Hornback first started construction with a team of horses. Then the same fall he leased the USFS dozer located at Indian Creek. Bill Watson helped Hornback walk the dozer up to Pistol Creek at low water.
The property was then split into sveral lots that were put up for sale to create much-needed revenue. Many of the lots sold to frequent customers of their Sulphur Creek Ranch. When the individual parcels were sold, the buyer had the option of whether to build a one, two, or three bedroom cabin. Once purchased, the cabins were guaranteed to be built, furnished, and ready to occupy within 30 days. Hornback hired caretaker Dewey Heater and his son Don, along with seasonal help, to construct most of the cabins.
Copyright © Pistol Creek Ranch. If you like hunting check our other website pistolcreekoutfitters.com
Contact Us at Auguiembrace@gmail.com